Tuesday, November 23, 2010

3rd Surgery

*I have pictures, but Blogger isn't letting me upoad them right now. I'll try again tomorrow....

Mason went in for his 3rd, and {hopefully} final surgery today. He had a central line put in, so that his major artery can be easily accessed over the next year of treatments. He also had a lumbar puncture to test his spinal fluid, to make sure no tumor cells have found their way down his spine.

He went into the surgery as brave as can be expected from the boy who's been through just about everything. I waited until early this morning when he woke up at 3 am for his ritual Thomas watching, to tell him he was having another surgery. He was quiet and contemplative, and  then had two questions: "are they going to poke me?" and "are they going to give me medicine?" He hates both, and had tears in his eyes when he asked. I side-stepped those two questions all morning, not having the heart to tell him that, yes, both were going to happen. But I forgot I was taking him to the children's hospital...of course they put him to sleep before they did anything! He was much more okay with going into surgery after he knew that he would be asleep for the IV poke.

In fact, once they gave him the first medicine in the waiting room, it made him pretty loopy, and he had a good time laughing at nothing. He even played nicely with a toy as he waited. Until he started licking it like candy, then I took it away from him. When the anesthesiologist came to get him, he didn't cry for me. He cried for the toy. :)

So now he has a port, which he hates, and has already tried to rip out...making me glad I chose the type that goes under his skin. It's pretty big on his tiny body, though. Oh, and he also got to make another buddy, complete with it's own port, and everything. I haven't taken a picture of it yet, but I will.

As far as his radiation therapy and chemo therapy, I still don't know when it is all going to start, since it all depends on the results of the lumbar puncture. Judging from conversations with the doctors, I am expecting it to start as soon as next Monday. I think Mase lucked out with the Thanksgiving holiday being this week, making them less likely to begin his treatment now...or so one doctor has said; there are so many of them, and they all have their own schedules to keep. It's getting pretty annoying! But at least this is the last surgery (that I know about).

FYI: his new stitch count is unknown, since I can't take the bandages off for about a week. I'll have a new total then!

3 comments:

  1. You two are so brave and strong! No more poking for awhile! Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pene-- I hope Mason is doing better today. We are still praying for you guys and hope you know we love you and Mason. Have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! We definitely feel your love and prayers, and are being so blessed by them! We love you, and hope you have a GREAT Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete