Monday, December 13, 2010


I was waiting for Mason to get home before I wrote this post, but they are taking too long, and I need something to do. Mason went to another radiation appointment without me again, since I am STILL sick with a nasty cold/virus/sinus infection that I've had for a week. I have no idea what it is, but it seems to be getting better, so I'm hoping I can take Mason to his appointment tomorrow.

Normally I wouldn't let this stop me, but I Mason also had his first Chemotherapy appointment today...which meant absolutely no one with a cough, cold, fever, chills, sore throat, runny nose, etc, could take him him. Sigh. So my sister Latu was sweet and took him in for me, making sure to ask the list of questions I sent with her.

But first: The deal with the radiation is that they will be having him on his back from now, on. There is no higher risk of exposure to his other body parts (what I was worried about), because the machine is designed to rotate around and underneath the bed, and the table is specially designed to let the radiation through. I'm glad to hear it, and I think this will be a lot easier on Mase.

His chemotherapy went really well. The Child Life Specialist came to talk to him and played with him, giving him yet another buddy to practice accessing a port on. Her name is Rainbow Brite, and she fits right in with his family of surged-up dolls. :)

The chemotherapy was surprisingly fast. For some reason (I swear I read it somewhere in the papers they gave me) I thought it would take at least and hour or two. But the medicine was actually just given to him through his port using a syringe, and that was that. Latu had gone prepared with hours of things to occupy her time, and ended up not using them.

The only other thing they needed to do, was draw blood for testing to make sure his platelets, white blood cells, and a few other things were within normal range. They called me to give me the results, and things are looking fine.

Mason got home just a little bit after I started this post, and is very tired and grouchy. He stayed at his cousins' house and played for the night before coming home. Other than being angry with the world for not getting his way on the way home, he seems to be doing just fine. He brought with him some trinkets he made at the hospital, and his old radiation mask. They had painted it to look like Thomas for him! But they made him a new one for laying on his back, and painted that one as Iron they sent this one home with him. I'll post some pictures later. It's pretty cute!

Also, I made a new page that has some common medical terms I post about, and their definitions. It's on-going, so I'll add more as I think of them. If you have a question about a medical term, you can look it up by clicking on the tab on the top of this blog. Hopefully this will help everyone follow along easier!


  1. So is radiation a daily thing? Along with the Chemo? So grateful you have such wonderful sisters to help you out....

  2. You don't know me, but my sister-in-law knows someone that knows you (I think!) and forwarded me the link to your blog. My three year old daughter, Elena, was diagnosed with Leukemia in March 2010 and she receives her treatments at Primary's as well.

    I have been very touched reading over Mason's story - what a tough little guy! And what a strong mama you are - thanks for sharing your experiences and faith. I had a similar experience of the Spirit preparing me before Elena was diagnosed. The Lord is aware of us!

    Hang in there! You guys will be in our prayers.

    We have a blog, too, where we update about Elena - Also, I don't know if you've heard about it, but there is a Utah Cancer Mom's group on Facebook - if you are interested, I can get you in touch with the ladies that moderate it. It's a nice resource and support group.

  3. I am always so impressed and inspired by how brave you all are. Give Mason a big, big hug from me, and please tell him that he is my inspiration! I start chemo on 1/4, and have been told it will take about 2 1/2 to 3 hours for the medicine to run through the IV. Will Mason lose his hair? I am supposed to lose my hair about 2 weeks after starting chemo. My radiation will not start until after chemo - probably May. Love you all so much! I put all of your names on the prayer roll at the temple this a.m. Please feel our constant love, care, concern and prayers for you, especially during this difficult time. ...Aloha, Aunty Michelle

  4. Monica: Radiation is daily, and chemo is once/week. And yes, I am SO grateful for my sisters!!

    Briana: Thanks for your comment! I'll be commenting on your blog with more, but I just wanted you to know that I was very inspired by your blog. :) And I would love to get in touch with the moderators of that group you mentioned!

    Auntie: Thank you! You are such and inspiration TO US of courage and faith, did you know that? I got your email to the family the other day, and it was amazing to read! So much wisdom! We've been praying for you, and will keep praying for you and Uncle. Let us know how your chemo treatments go when you start in January. We've been told Mason will lose his hair, too, but I didn't ask how soon. I think it will take a little longer for that to happen, but I'm not too sure. We love you!