Friday, January 21, 2011

6 Weeks Down, 0 to Go!!


Today was Mason's last radiation treatment! We are both so excited for him to be done, but saying goodbye is always hard; harder, even, when you are four years old, and saying goodbye to your best friends!

We had been talking to him all week about getting to finish, saying goodbye, and ringing the celebration bell. The only thing he responded to was ringing the bell. He was excited to ring the bell. For everything else, his answer was usually: "Mmm hmm." 

Mason was not happy when he woke up. He slept the entire ride to the hospital, and when we went to check in, he was still cranky. As we started down the elevator to go to radiation, I started talking to him about how excited I was that today was his last day. He didn't give any reply. Instead, he was quiet and after a few moments, he said: "Mommy, I'm going to miss Natalie." He was laying on my shoulder and I pulled him back to look at him. He was on the verge of tears. Break.My.Heart! I forget that he LOVES radiation! And his best friends, especially Natalie, are there! So I talked to him the rest of the way, about how we could go visit them even after he was done. I'm not sure it it helped at all.

When we got to radiation, they had the sweetest surprise for him! They had decorated the waiting room with signs, and had some presents waiting.
(My dad, trying NOT to be in the picture)


Mason got this sweet little bag filled with candy, some toys, a Thomas book (from Joan!), and Thomas stickers. There was also an art supply kit, and a certificate for completing radiation! It was so sweet, I almost cried! From the second we walked in, Mason was being very shy, and didn't really look at his presents a lot, but the first thing he asked when he woke up after radiation was: "Where's my presents?" He was so worried I had forgotten them. :)

They even signed the back of the bag for him!

Mason went to ring the bell before he went in, but ended up being really apprehensive about it. Everyone was waiting to cheer after he rang it, but he gave it one quick ring and then raced into the radiation chamber, chanting: "Sleeping milk! I want sleeping milk! Sleeping milk!" Hahahaha. This boy! The anesthesiologist made a comment later, saying that he doesn't think they have ever had a kid who was actually excited to have his treatments, until Mason...to which Mark (therapist) replied: "Well, I think we had one before...." Hehe. I love how excited he gets!

He got his final dose of "sleeping milk," and fell asleep exactly on the count of eight.

When he woke up in SDS, the first thing he did was to eat chocolate covered pretzels, which he had gotten in his bag. He was still sleepy, and could barely open his eyes, but he just chomped away until more than half the bag was gone. They're one of his favorites. :) 

After that, we went and said goodbye to the ladies at the front desk of same day surgery, then headed back down to radiation for two reasons: 1.) I was determined to get a video of him ringing the bell. 2.) He was much more relaxed, and wanted to go say goodbye again.
After coaxing him into it the whole way there, he begrudgingly rang the bell for me, and I was able to get a video of it, and the picture at the top of this post.

Then he played with Natalie, before saying goodbye.



After that, I took Mason for one more trip to the cafeteria (where he likes to get fruit punch, and slices of bacon), and then we headed home. When we got home, he spent two hours playing with his presents, and making a craft with his new art supplies. I also got to read his new book to him many, many times. He has already shown his presents, and talked about his day, to everyone who comes home.

Thanks for the great care, LDS Hospital! We'll miss you!

P.S.
We love radiation! Mason wanted to give them something, so I made this to give to them. We also made one for Same Day Surgery because they're awesome too, but I forgot to get a picture of it!! 

I did, however, get pictures of the two Nurses who have taken care of Mase in SDS these past six weeks. They are the sweetest women, and I have loved getting to chat with them every day. They took such good care of Mason, and always made sure he had whatever drinks/treats/stickers he ever wanted. 

Thanks, Mary Kay!

Thanks, Sharon!

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations to him! That's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Horray for Mason! What a wonderful post! May you never have to return!♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS Mason!!!! We are so proud of you, you're a tuff little guy and a hero for sure! We are so happy that you are done!!! We hope you know we love you soooooo much Mason! Love all your Kinikini cousins!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!!! And small world, but Mary Kay is my neighbor! She is the sweetest lady and we love their family! I will have to tell her!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! We are very excited...especially that we now get to sleep in!!

    Carrie: Wow, small world! I remember her mentioning that she lived in that area, but I had no idea she was your neighbor! Yes, please tell her next time you see her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo Hoo!! Such an exciting day! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations guys! What a huge milestone! I'm so glad Mason had such great people caring for him along the way. I was really touched by this post and the pictures of his sweet nurses. Compassionate nurses really do give so much - they can make a big difference! Truly "nursing", isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mason and Family - I am so grateful I was able to be part of this experience with all of you. I am truly honored to know such special people. My days were filled with sunshine when I worked with Mason (he is such a happy and fantastic hero). I sure hope I get to see you guys somewhere fun sometime soon! Best wishes for Mason's wish day - how exciting!! I just wanted to say how I love you all - Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natalie: Thank you! We absolutely LOVED being able to work with you! Mason misses his radiation!

    ReplyDelete