Monday, February 14, 2011

MRI, ENT, Ag, InPat, Rad, Onc, DW!, Pic, Update, and a Good Cause! *deep breath*

Okay, I'm just being silly with post titles...but I had no idea what to name this post. So there you go. Anyways, it has been a while since I have posted any real useful information (I know, I'm slacking big time!), so here are some updates.

Here is what the next 5-ish weeks looks like:
  • Mason has an MRI scheduled this Saturday, the 19th! This will be the first one he has had since he left the hospital, and it will show exactly how effective the radiation treatments were. After this, he will have another one every few months to make sure that his tumor isn't growing back. I'm praying for a clean scan, and no problems!
  • He also has an appointment with the ENT at Primary Children's this Friday, the 18th, who will make a final decision on a course of action.
  • Audiogram scheduled for Friday as well. It will tell us exactly how much his hearing has been affected so far.
  • Monday he goes in for his first in-patient chemotherapy. I still have no idea how he'll handle this. He is terrified to be stuck in a hospital bed again. He will spend somewhere around three days in the hospital, until the chemo has worked itself out of his body. Who knows? Maybe he'll remember how much he LOVED being able to order anything he wanted from the menu...or maybe he'll just cry to go back to Radiation, like he usually does. ;)
  • Which brings me to the next thing: He has a checkup with the Radiation Oncologist on the 24th. He's going to go crazy when I tell him! He has been begging to go back and visit, but we haven't been able to. It hasn't stopped him from asking to go, every day, though!
  • During the three weeks after that, he will go back for checkups and Vincristine, just like he had been doing before his break.
  • Disney World!! (Please note: There will be a party beforehand, and you're all invited! TBA )

My schedule is starting to fill out again with all of this. After these awesome weeks off, neither me, nor Mason, wants to start in on the appointments again. But at least it means progress.

Here at home, things are going very well. Mason hasn't had any problems with his feedings, or the tube. He lets me clean it without crying, begs to flush it or put medicine in, and always helps with setting up the feedings ever night. Plus, he's already learned enough to tell me when I'm doing something wrong, or out of order. Smart little guy. :o)

We had our first and second fever scares this weekend, and I can tell you: it's not fun. I think we've been spoiled by Mason not having many problems with illnesses, that I just took it for granted that we wouldn't have any. Of course, the first time he got a fever happened while I was out with friends at an author signing, with my phone on silent. By the time Latu got a hold of me, she had already talked to the Oncologist, worked everything out, and it was determined that he didn't need to go to the hospital, but just needed to be watched closely for any change. Phew!! He didn't have a fever after that until last night, where he had a low-grade fever, wasn't sleeping well at all, and threw up a few times. After a frantic phone call where I thought my son was going to die, I spoke with the Oncologist, gave him Tylenol, and about an hour later he was fine. He is also fine this morning (read: alive and breathing), so I feel a little embarrassed for getting so dramatic last night. Just a little.


Mason is still gaining weight, which you can't tell at all from these pictures, but it's true. I can tell by how much my arms ache when holding him. He's my little chunk again! ♥


And finally, I want to direct you all to my friend Briana's blog, A Teaspoon of Fire. Not only have she and her husband been AMAZING at raising awareness for childhood cancer, but their daughter Elena, is approaching her one-year anniversary of the day she was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL).

They are holding a celebration in March, "in honor of one year of [Elena] kicking cancer's trash!!!" At the celebration, they will be doing a service project where they will be assembling kits to give to families of children newly diagnosed cancer patients at Primary Children's, and having a blood drive. They are asking for donations of items, or money to purchase the items needed for these kits. They are also looking for blood donors, as they need at least 25-30 committed donors. Please, please, please, at least visit their blog, and if you are able to donate something, please do. If not, spread the word. The link above will take you to the post where the event is described.


Thanks everyone! I'll post more updates this weekend after Mason's appointments!

2 comments:

  1. We will be praying for a clean scan, too! Let us know how it goes.

    It is so nice to have a few weeks off from doctor's appointments and the hospital, isn't it? I don't blame you for being hesitant to get back into everything. I hope all goes well with everything coming up. We will be inpatient again in a little less than two weeks. Sometime around the 25th. And then two weeks after that and then two weeks after that - think we'll see eachother at all? And I was curious, is Mason doing High-Dose Methotrexate (HD MTX) on these inpatient stays? What you described briefly in the post sounded similar to what Elena did this last weekend, which was HD MTX. Its a 24 hour drip of the MTX and then they have to monitor things and wait for her blood levels of MTX to get low enough before she can go home.

    And thanks SO much for spreading the word about donations for the party!! That is exactly what I was hoping people would do. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for the 24th!!! I can't wait to give that sweet boy some big hugs! That info. just made my day :) - Love - Natalie

    ReplyDelete