Thursday, May 19, 2011

Do You Remember Me? Mason's Mom?

I know it's been a while, so I just thought I'd make sure. Wow, I haven't posted in forever! I haven't really felt like posting anything (long, self-centered story, mostly about me being lazy and feeling sorry for myself), and really, not much has happened...until today.

Mason was due for his next cycle of chemotherapy, but his counts weren't high enough for it. We went in today to have his blood drawn before he went inpatient tomorrow, but his ANC is all the way down at 400! It has to be over 1,000 for him to be considered well enough to be admitted. So it has been postponed again, and they will check his counts again on Wednesday to see if he is doing well enough to be admitted that same day. They almost gave him a shot of Neupogen, but decided against it, hoping his counts will go up on their own before Wednesday. I'm not so sure they will, since they have been getting lower instead of higher, but we'll see how it all works out.

This last round of chemo was harder on him than all of the others, and I think he's hit that point where his body has had as much as it wants to handle. He seems more frail, and is falling/tripping/getting hurt more often. He has less energy and is much more tired, which translates into daily mega tantrums. The good part is that he is taking a nap every day now...sometimes even two! Man, I missed those nap times, and am glad to have them back! :)

I have put Mason back on thickened liquids, because he is coughing again when he drinks, and after trying to deny it for days, I finally put my foot down. Yes, you read that I am the one who put him back on them...it slipped my mind at the doctor appointment today, so I didn't get it confirmed, but I'd rather not take chances.

Feedings are going well! He still eats like a dying bird, so that's a problem, but at least he gets everything he needs at night. We've only had a few problems with this, including a false-bed-wetting-alarm when the tube got detached, and forgetting to close the lid as the bag was squeezed. It still hasn't come out of the carpet. ;)

Mason got to see Elliot today as we were leaving the hospital, and was so excited! Elliot was the first dog to visit him in the hospital besides our dog, Chief (who got special permission to visit Mason after his surgery). He petted him for a while, and then got a card this time, with Elliot's picture on it.  He thought it was the coolest thing on the planet!


Oh, and in case you didn't know, Mason has become quite the dancer! He can shake it like Shakira and Beyonce combined, and his favorite movie has become The Cheetah Girls: One World, where they go to Bollywood and dance and sing a lot. Those of you going to grandpa's house for Memorial Day will no doubt get to see this little treat with your own eyes. It will change your life. :D

That's about it for updates! I promise to post more often, and especially to finish our Disney trip posts!

Goodness, and I almost forgot: Mason has HAIR! I was so sad to see it fall out, and now I find myself sad to see it grow back in. He was such a cute baldie! It just means progress, though, so I'm all for it! :) I'll post pictures when It's light enough to take them without an ugly flash.

2 comments:

  1. totally know what you mean about the baldness/hair. :)

    i'm sorry mason's been having such a hard time! i've been wondering about how things were going for you guys. i hope this little break while his counts come back up gives him at least a little time to recover. poor kid. hang in there guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to see a post Penelope. I check often to see how Mason is going. I am sorry to hear he's not coping too well with the chemo.
    Can I be a nosy parker and ask what protocol he is on?

    ReplyDelete