Saturday, August 20, 2011

Hearing Test Results

I think I've been in denial about this, because it had completely slipped my mind for the past two weeks. It's about time I posted about it, so I'll just get to the point: Mason has started losing hearing in his left ear.

I have two of his test results--one from back in November, and one from two weeks ago. He has had this test done before every admission and the results have always been the same (or very close to it) until now.

Left ear  -  November 2010
This test was done after his surgeries and before radiation. If I remember right, the average hearing level for a child his age is about 20 decibels, so the hearing in his left ear was a little above average (the higher on the grid, the better hearing you have). 


Left ear  -  August 2011
 This is from two weeks ago. As you can see, his hearing has dropped in the lower frequencies, but is still about average, but it has dropped a lot in the higher frequencies. 

The woman who performed the test talked to me afterward and explained that she thinks his hearing in the lower frequencies (the first five x's) is lower because he was fatigued during the test. But the last two x's show that he has clearly lost a significant amount of hearing in the higher frequencies.

This is a possible side effect of his treatments so it was so be expected, but it's still disheartening to hear. I haven't really noticed much difference in Mason's hearing, other than slight things like having to repeat myself a few times...but that probably has more to do with the fact that he has no hearing in his right ear, than this. They haven't changed his treatment plan yet, but they might the next time we meet with his regular oncologist. I'll post an update when that happens!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there are using Wordpress for your blog platform?
    I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and
    create my own. Do you need any html coding knowledge to make your own blog?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Also visit my weblog ... nerta.info

    ReplyDelete