Thursday, September 22, 2011

Hyundai Hope on Wheels






Maybe it is just the mood I am in, but the first line of this video makes me cry. "Every day, 48 children learn that they have cancer."

More than enough to fill a classroom.

Every day, the lives of 48 children are changed forever. Forty-eight children!

No matter how many times, or how many ways I say it, it never fails to both amaze and terrify me because back in November, Mason was one of those forty-eight children. Today, he is one of hundreds still fighting.

And like hundreds of other parents out there, I know how it is. I know how it feels. I know.

September is National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, and somewhere a long the way, I forgot about that. But today as Mason and I walked out of clinic, both of us upset and frustrated that he still could not be admitted yet (me because it was the third try in a week, and Mason because he loves the hospital and wanted to stay), we were asked to participate in Hyundai's Hope on Wheels grant ceremony.

I had never heard of it before and had no idea what it was. But we sat and listened, and as we did, I felt so appreciative of what this company has done. For what they continue to to. Taking a portion from every car sold, they have raised millions of dollars this year alone, and have donated the money to hospitals around the nation for NCCAM, for cancer research. They donated $100,000 to Primary Children's.

This is not their first year doing this.

It will not be their last.

As they talked, took pictures, and had Mason make a hand print for them, I felt myself relax, and the frustration leave, and I had to stop myself from crying a few times. I felt gratitude like I have never felt before. Not just for Hyundai (although I am so grateful to them!), but also for the many people who donate to the cause, for the many doctors and nurses who work to cure patients, and for the many others who conduct research for cures and advancements in medicine.

These people can change lives just as drastically as cancer can. They can, and do.

So thank you, to all the doctors and nurses who have made a difference in Mason's life. Thank you to those who have donated to research, and those who conduct that research. Thank you to those who created the medicines that are fighting cancer. And thank you to Hyundai, for such a wonderful, and needed, donation.


You can read about the ceremony from Deseret News, here.
See pictures (including two of Mason) from the ceremony on Primary Children's Facebook page.
Another link to Hyundai Hope on Wheels.
You can also buy copies of hand prints from Hyundai, if you go into any dealership (with proceeds going to childhood cancer research). :)

I heard Mason and I were also on the news, but I missed watching it. If you saw it, let me know how it was! :)



2 comments:

  1. That picture of Mason leaving his handprint is so sweet! I am in love with Hyundai now. The work they are doing for childhood cancer research is amazing! AMAZING!

    I'm sorry about the frustration of not getting admitted yet. Ugh! It is frustrating not to know how to plan life! But so cool that you guys got to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it? I just love it. :) Oh,and I agree about Hyundai! I had no idea how much they have been doing for children's cancer. I just love it!

    I also agree about not being able to plan life; it is SO frustrating! At least Mason was able to go in today, so things will be fine...for a wile. Lol. :)

    ReplyDelete