Thursday, January 26, 2012

He Finally Won!

"I can't believe I finally did it!"
"I can't believe I finally WON!"

Those are the words Mason said over and over as we left the hospital yesterday, along with variations of "I kicked cancer's stupid, poopy, ugly, butt!!!"

We went in to oncology and received his very last treatment!

His counts were low yesterday so they told us to plan for a blood transfusion in the next few days, and he is still on neupogen until they come up above 1500, but other than that he is SO DONE! The plan from now on is monthly checkups, and MRI's every four months (he has one coming up soon), and if nothing goes wrong then in three months he'll have a surgery to take his port out! Woohoo!!!!!!

He is now officially in remission.

Remission! It's so strange to think we're already there. In so many ways, this has been the longest year of both of our lives, but in so many other ways, the time just flew by and I can't believe we are here this quickly. Was it only over a year ago that he was diagnosed? I'm still a little shocked at it all, and I think I'm still adjusting. 

It's strange to think that this is now the road to a normal life. I don't think I know how to have a normal life anymore, and I'm pretty sure Mason will have no idea what to do without talking about doctor visits and treatments all the time. What will we do with all that extra time? Our schedule is just SO clear for the rest of the year. It's so nice!

Anyway, I took pictures of his last inpatient stay (which happened last week) and his last treatment yesterday, and I'll be posting those soon. In them, you'll see the brightest smile you've ever seen in your life, because...

Mason totally kicked cancer's butt!



10 comments:

  1. YYYYYYAAAAHHHHHH-FREAAAKING-HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Go mason!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the best news I've heard all week. Mason, you are a fighter and I'm so happy that you kicked Cancer's Butt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaaaaaaaay!!!! That is the absolute best news. Love you Mason and Pene!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOOO excited for you both!!!! Good job Mason!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! I am so glad to hear this great news. I hope you are all doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YEAH!!!! I already gushed to you a bunch last night, but I just am so darn happy for you guys! How amazing to be at this point! You and Mason are so strong. Congratulations on making it! Party, party, party!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray! HURRAY! Such wonderful news! Love you both so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such wonderful news! I had no idea you were dealing with this, Penelope. My heart goes out to you, and I am so very, very glad that you have a happy outcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so awesome to hear!! I am so glad that I got to meet Mason on his journey to kick cancers butt!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Mason and you, Pene!! I realize the other post you wrote had some "other" news (don't want to call it "bad" yet...) but for now I just want to be so happy that you guys did it! You kicked Cancer's butt! I'm totally choking back tears - just so happy for you! Lots of love, Alicia

    ReplyDelete